Policies & Procedures

Code of Conduct

Last Updated: August 2021

All units within 301Scouting will primarily adhere to the Policy and Procedures outlined by the Boy Scouts of America:

This section represents the code of conduct for 301Scouting units and should be viewed as supplemental. The current version of the Guide to Safe Scouting will always take precedent.

When at any Troop or Patrol function, all Scouts and adult leaders and families are expected to live up to the Scout Oath and Law. If at any time the Scout or adult leader is not complying with these guidelines, the Scout or adult leader will face the appropriate disciplinary action based on the offense.

Discipline Policy for 301Scouting Units

While BSA Troops are run by the Scouts under the guidance of the adult leaders, most Scout infractions are minor and will be dealt with by the Senior Patrol Leader (SPL) and the Patrol Leader or Patrol Leader’s Council (PLC). Only when an infraction is determined to be major will the issue be addressed immediately to the Scoutmaster.

Minor Scout Behavior Issues

If a Scout has a minor behavioral problem, the SPL or PLC member will handle the consequence for the Scout. The SPL has the responsibility for imposing behavioral consequences for minor Scout behavioral issues. Adults will not step in unless requested by the SPL, but the SPL or PLC may consult the Scoutmaster for advice or concurrence if they desire.

If a Scout’s minor misbehaviors begin to occur repetitively, the SPL should consult with the Scoutmaster (SM) for appropriate action. The Scoutmaster must inform the Scout’s parent(s) or guardian(s) verbally of the situation.

Suggested Consequences for Minor Scout Misbehavior: Consequences for minor behavioral issues must be appropriate for the act. It should be remembered that the purpose of the consequences is not to punish, but rather to stop the inappropriate behavior immediately and in the future. Discipline must be constructive.

Major Scout Behavior Issues

It is not possible to completely identify all potential misbehaviors that could be considered major therefore any questionable behavior shall be deemed major by the Scoutmaster or Assistant Scoutmaster depending on the events of the situation in question. 

Example Major Misbehaviors (modified 2020):

Disciplinary Actions

In the event that the Scoutmaster or Assistance Scoutmaster finds it necessary to discipline for a major offense the following steps will be taken. This however, is subject to the leaders judgment; it may be appropriate to skip some steps based on the severity of the offense.

On the first major offense the following steps will be taken:

On the second major offense the following steps will be taken:

On the third major offense, notification follows the same pattern as above. The parent(s) or guardian(s) will be required to remove the Scout from 301Scouting units.

Although this procedure will be followed in most cases, the Troop Committee upon request of the Scoutmaster and/or Assistant Scoutmaster may decide, based on the infraction, that it is in the best interest of the Troop that the Scout be informed that they will have to find another troop to continue their Scouting career.

NOTE: In any of the above “Major Offense” actions, the Scoutmaster has the discretion, after conferring with the Senior Patrol Leader, to remove the offending Scout from any leadership position they may have held at the time of the offense.

Any reported misbehavior by an adult leader will be handled by the Troop Committee with potential escalation to the Lost Dutchman District and Grand Canyon Council.


Last Updated: August 2021

Personal Health and the Annual Health and Medical Record

Find the current Annual Health and Medical Record by using this QR code or by visiting www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/ahmr.

The Scouting adventure, camping trips, high-adventure excursions, and having fun are important to everyone in Scouting—and so are your safety and well-being. Completing the Annual Health and Medical Record is the first step in making sure you have a great Scouting experience. 

All Scouting Events

All participants in all Scouting activities complete Part A and Part B. Give the completed forms to your unit leader. This applies to all activities, day camps, local tours, and weekend camping trips less than 72 hours. Update at least annually.

Part A is an informed consent, release agreement, and authorization that needs to be signed by every participant (or a parent and/or legal guardian for all youth under 18).

Part B is general information and a health history.

Going to Camp?

A pre-participation physical is needed for resident, tour, or trek camps or for a Scouting event of more than 72 hours, such as Wood Badge and NYLT. The exam needs to be completed by a certified and licensed physician (MD, DO), nurse practitioner, or physician assistant. If your camp has provided you with any supplemental risk information, or if your plans include attending one of the four national high-adventure bases, share the venue’s risk advisory with your medical provider when you are having your physical exam.

Part C is your pre-participation physical certification

Planning a high adventure trip?

Each of the four national high-adventure bases has provided a supplemental risk advisory that explains in greater detail some of the risks inherent in that program. All high-adventure participants mustread and share this information with their medical providers during their pre-participation physicals. Additional information regarding high-adventure activities may be obtained directly from the venue or your local council.

Medication Policy

Prescription Medication

Taking prescription medication is the responsibility of the individual taking the medication and/or that individual’s parent or guardian. A leader, after obtaining all the necessary information, can agree to accept the responsibility of making sure a youth takes the necessary medication at the appropriate time, but the BSA does not mandate or necessarily encourage the leader to do so.

Standards and policies regarding administration of medication may be in place at BSA camps. If state laws are more limiting than camp policies, they must be followed. The AHMR also allows for a parent or guardian to authorize the administration of nonprescription medication to a youth by a camp health officer or unit leader, including any noted exceptions.

The BSA’s guiding principles for the safe use of medications include: 

301Scouting Units Medication Policy

In order to abide to the BSA Medication Policy, Troop 301 will use the following guiding principles in handling medications on troop activities. The use of legally prescribed medications is acceptable within the guidelines of this policy.


Last Updated: August 2021

It is our wish that every scout gets to participate in every activity that they want to, however, we must be fiscally responsible and accountable to all our members. The Troop is run by volunteers, for the scouts, and we must always keep that in mind. Everyone must help and in the interest of fairness to all, we insist that everyone abide by our financial policies.

We understand that scouting is expensive and some families are struggling to make ends meet. We have many dedicated families and supporters who will make every effort to see that all our children have an opportunity to be a Scout and participate in as many events as possible. If we all work together, our children will all be able to experience the joys and excitement that is Scouting.

Tax Exempt Status

Troop 301 is a non-profit organization and is covered under the tax-exempt “umbrella” of Love of Christ Lutheran Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Donations to the Troop for scholarships or other needs may be tax deductible, so please discuss your particular situation with a qualified Tax Advisor. In many cases, your employer may provide “matching funds”, perhaps allowing you to double your donation.Troop 301’s tax-exempt documentation is available on request from the Troop Treasurer.

Campout and Activity Fees

Activity Fees are kept as low as possible and cover food, camping permits, location charges and other needs to make the event as fun and exciting as possible for the scouts. The Troop usually must commit to a certain number of participants in advance and in many cases must pay for that commitment well ahead of the event taking place. 

The Troop funds each Patrol to buy food for the number of scouts who are on the event sign-up sheet on the Tuesday prior to the event. Therefore, all fees must be paid in advance and are due by the Tuesday prior to event. If a scout has not paid in advance for an event they may not be allowed to participate (subject to the discretion of the Scoutmaster).

Cancellations and No-Shows

If a scout signs up for the event and does not cancel the Tuesday prior or is a no-show when the event begins they are still liable for all activity fees since the Troop will have purchased food, paid for the location, etc.


Regular dues collection is an integral part of keeping the Troop operating smoothly. The funds are used for the normal operating expenses of the program aside from major purchases of equipment, etc. Examples of these expenses are: materials for making projects, Merit Badges, Rank Patches, other misc. patches earned by the scouts, re-chartering expenses, and any other items as the Troop Committee votes on.

Re-chartering: Annual Scout Fees

Scout Accounts

Each Scout has their own individual Scout account. This account operates as the Scout’s own “bank account” that they can put money in, through either fundraising activities or direct deposit, to be used to pay for their dues, activity fees or camping fees.

Please note that if any Scout leaves the Troop, the only funds they are eligible to remove are those that were personally funded and deposited into their account in cash. Any unused funds earned through fundraising efforts become the property of the Troop.

If a scout transfers to another troop, they may request to have their Scout account funds transferred to their new troop. Troop 301 will write a check payable to the new troop, not the scout.

During the course of a fundraising effort, a Scout may periodically receive “cash donations” that are over and above what product or service the scout is selling. To protect the scout, their family and the Troop, it is required that these donation funds also be deposited in the scout’s account along with their fundraising money. This makes the funds auditable and traceable if any questions arise.

Negative Balances: A scout’s personal account may show negative balances due to charges for events not paid for, dues, loans or other charges from the Troop. The scout will be notified and, unless other arrangements are made, the balance must be made up to $0 within 4 weeks.

The Troop will not transfer a Scout’s records to another troop if their personal account has a negative balance OR there is an outstanding loan balance.

Late Payments

If a scout does not pay for an event prior to attending, then the event fees must be paid at the next Troop Meeting. If an event fee is not paid within 4 weeks of the event, the scout may not be eligible for advancement, awards or attending the next Troop outing.

If the scout’s personal account has a positive balance it will be used to cover late event fees.

Returned/NSF Checks

If a personal check is returned by the bank the scout is expected to cover all bank fees charged to the Troop. The Troop will only accept cash for NSF checks and fees. A personal check cannot be used to cover a returned check or fees.

Scholarships and Loans

General: A Scout is THRIFTY. A Scout works to pay their way. This is the ninth part of the Scout Law. The Troop Committee is very interested in what the Scout has done to assist their family in providing them with their scouting experience. This is a character-building opportunity for Scouts to learn the importance of being THRIFTY.

Troop 301 provides many fund-raising events throughout the year and every scout has the opportunity to earn enough money to cover their expenses for the year, including summer camp.

Participation in fundraising events is mandatory for any scout wishing to apply for scholarship support.

Scholarships and loans from Troop 301 are subject to the availability of funds and troop budget plans.

A scholarship must be by written request using the Troop 301 Application for Financial Aid form available at: http://troop301online.com/media/documents/Troop_301_Application_for_Financial_Aid.pdf at least 4 weeks prior to an event. 

Scholarships require unanimous and written approval by the Troop Officers: Scoutmaster, Treasurer, and Committee Chair. Verbal commitments will not be honored under any circumstances. 

Out-of-council camps (high adventure or otherwise) are eligible for scholarships only on a case-by-case basis, decided by the Troop Committee and Troop Officers.

A special Troop 301 Scholarship Fund is used to provide and accept donations for scholarships. If the Scholarship Fund’s balance is $0 then no scholarships can be granted.


Troop dues are not eligible for scholarship. See DUES section above for payment terms. 

Troop Scholarships for in-council summer camps are eligible only AFTER the scout has applied for and been granted Council scholarship money. A Scout must participate in 75% of the troop fundraisers throughout the year to be eligible for scholarships


A Family may not request more than $300 in scholarships per Scout per Activity Year (1 September to 31 August). Special circumstances will be considered but must be approved by the Troop Committee and Troop Officers on a case-by-case basis.

The scout’s personal account must be used first before any scholarship money is provided unless other arrangements have been made and approved by the Troop Officers.

The Troop will only provide a scholarship maximum of 50% for any single event; special cases must be in writing and are at the discretion of the Troop Officers.


A family may ask the Troop for an interest-free loan to help them bridge through a difficult situation. A loan application must be by written request using the Troop 301 Application for Financial Aid form (available at https://troop301mesaaz.org/resources/) at least 4 weeks prior to an activity. This form includes repayment terms and must be signed by a responsible adult and the Troop Officers. 

A Family can only have a maximum loan balance of $250 per Scout at any given time. The repayment terms cannot exceed 10 months (minimum payment therefore is $25/month/Scout).

Loans can only be used for in-Council Summer Camp for the balance AFTER Council scholarships have been subtracted. 

If a loan payment has not been made in accordance with the agreed terms the Scout may not be eligible for advancement or awards. If the scout has a positive personal account balance and the loan is not being repaid according to the terms, any balance in the account may be applied to the outstanding loan balance.