Financial Policy

Financial Policy

It is our wish that every scout gets to participate in every activity that they want to, however, we must be fiscally responsible and accountable to all our members. The Troop is run by volunteers, for the scouts, and we must always keep that in mind. Everyone must help and in the interest of fairness to all, we insist that everyone abide by our financial policies.

We understand that scouting is expensive and some families are struggling to make ends meet. We have many dedicated families and supporters who will make every effort to see that all our children have an opportunity to be a Scout and participate in as many events as possible. If we all work together, our children will all be able to experience the joys and excitement that is Scouting.

Tax Exempt Status

301 Scouting is a non-profit organization and is covered under the tax-exempt “umbrella” of Love of Christ Lutheran Church and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. Donations to the Troop for scholarships or other needs may be tax deductible, so please discuss your particular situation with a qualified Tax Advisor. 

In many cases, your employer may provide “matching funds'', perhaps allowing you to double your donation. 301 Scouting's tax-exempt documentation is available on request from the 301 Scouting Treasurer.

Campout and Activity Fees

Activity Fees are kept as low as possible and cover food, camping permits, location charges and other needs to make the event as fun and exciting as possible for the scouts. The Troop usually must commit to a certain number of participants in advance and in many cases must pay for that commitment well ahead of the event taking place. 

The Troop funds each Patrol to buy food for the number of scouts who are on the event sign-up sheet on the Tuesday prior to the event. Therefore, all fees must be paid in advance and are due by the Tuesday prior to the event. If a scout has not paid in advance for an event they may not be allowed to participate (subject to the discretion of the Scoutmaster).

Cancellations and No-Shows

If a scout signs up for the event and does not cancel by the Tuesday prior or is a no-show when the event begins they are still liable for all activity fees since the Troop will have purchased food, paid for the location, etc. Extenuating circumstances will be allowed at the discretion of the Scoutmaster.


Regular dues collection is an integral part of keeping the Troop operating smoothly. The funds are used for the normal operating expenses of the program aside from major purchases of equipment, etc. Examples of these expenses are: materials for making projects, Merit Badges, Rank Patches, other misc. patches earned by the scouts, re-chartering expenses, and any other items as the Troop Committee votes on.

Re-chartering: Annual Scout Fees

Scout Accounts

Each Scout has their own individual Scout account. This account operates as the Scout’s own “bank account” that they can put money in, through either fundraising activities or direct deposit, to be used to pay for their dues, activity fees or camping fees.

Please note that if any Scout leaves the Unit, the only funds they are eligible to remove are those that were personally funded and deposited into their account.

If a scout transfers to another troop, they may request to have their Scout account funds transferred to their new troop. The 301 Scouting Group will write a check payable to the new troop, not the scout.

During the course of a fundraising effort, a Scout may periodically receive “cash donations” that are over and above what product or service the scout is selling. To protect the scout, their family and the Troop, it is required that these donation funds also be deposited in the scout’s account along with their fundraising money. This makes the funds auditable and traceable if any questions arise.

Negative Balances: A scout’s personal account may show negative balances due to charges for events not paid for, dues, loans or other charges from the Troop. The scout will be notified and, unless other arrangements are made, the balance must be made up to $0 within 4 weeks. If a balance is in excess of $100 the scout will not be permitted to participate in troop activities (campouts, gatherings, etc.) until their account returns to good standing (>$0 balance).

The Unit will not transfer a Scout’s records to another troop if their personal account has a negative balance OR there is an outstanding balance.


Payments can be made via:

If a scout does not pay for an event prior to attending, then the event fees must be paid at the next Troop Meeting. If an event fee is not paid within 4 weeks of the event, the scout may not be eligible to attend the next Troop outing. 

Returned/NSF Checks

If a personal check is returned by the bank the scout is expected to cover all bank fees charged to the Troop. The Troop will only accept cash for NSF checks and fees. A personal check cannot be used to cover a returned check or fees.


General: A Scout is THRIFTY. A Scout works to pay their way. This is the ninth part of the Scout Law. The Troop Committee is very interested in what the Scout has done to assist their family in providing them with their scouting experience. This is a character-building opportunity for Scouts to learn the importance of being THRIFTY.

301 Scouting provides many fundraising events throughout the year and every scout has the opportunity to earn enough money to cover their expenses for the year, including summer camp.

Participation in fundraising events is mandatory for any scout wishing to apply for scholarship support.

Scholarships from 301 Scouting are subject to the availability of funds and troop budget plans.

A scholarship must be by written request using the 301 Scouting Application for Financial Aid form available at: (see Scoutmaster or Committee Chair) at least 4 weeks prior to an event/routine campout or 4 months prior to the start of a summer camp.

Scholarships require unanimous and written approval by the Unit Officers: Scoutmaster/Cubmaster, Treasurer, and Committee Chair. Verbal commitments will not be honored under any circumstances. 

Out-of-council camps (high adventure or otherwise) are eligible for scholarships only on a case-by-case basis, decided by the Unit Officers. Camperships through council must be applied to prior to requesting assistance at the troop level for camp. 

A special 301 Scouting Scholarship Fund is used to provide and accept donations for scholarships. If the Scholarship Fund’s balance is $0 then no scholarships can be granted.

Troop dues are not eligible for scholarship. See dues section above for payment terms. 

Troop Scholarships for in-council summer camps are eligible only AFTER the scout has applied for and been granted Council scholarship money. A Scout must participate in 75% of the troop fundraisers throughout the year to be eligible for scholarships


A Family may not request more than $300 in scholarships per Scout per Activity Year (1 August to 31 July ). Special circumstances will be considered but must be approved by the 301 Scouting Group Committee and Unit Officers on a case-by-case basis.

The scout’s personal account must be used first before any scholarship money is provided unless other arrangements have been made and approved by the Unit Officers.

The Troop will only provide a scholarship maximum of 50% for any single event; special cases must be in writing and are at the discretion of the Unit Officers.

Payment plans & deferred payments

A family may ask the Troop for deferred payments to help them bridge through a difficult situation. A deferment payment request must be by written request using the 301 Scouting Application for Financial Aid form (see Scoutmaster/Cubmaster or Committee Chair) at least 4 weeks prior to an activity. This form includes repayment terms and must be signed by a responsible adult and the Unit Officers. 

Deferred Payment plans can only be used for in-Council Summer Camp for the balance AFTER Council scholarships have been subtracted.